Ad materials are to be supplied as digital files in the preferred PDF/X-1a:2001 format.
To match the color expectations of our advertisers, Emerald Expositions requires the PDF/X-1a:2001 file format and a SWOP proof
for each ad submitted. Advertiser/agency accepts full responsibility for reproduction variations between the digital file and the printed
image for ads submitted in non-preferred formats. Non-adherence to the preferred format may necessitate production fees. Emerald Expositions is not responsible for making corrections to supplied files.
Customer-supplied digital files and SWOP proofs will be retained for up to three months following publication date and then destroyed
unless otherwise requested in writing.
Adherence to the following guidelines in application file preparation will aid in successful file conversion:
- Create ad layouts in a professional desktop publishing program such as Adobe InDesign® or QuarkXPress™.
- Create one PDF/X-1a file per ad or ad page; spread ads must be submitted as two single page files.
- Orientation: Set native application files in portrait mode at 100% with no rotations. Color: Define all colors as CMYK process. Unintended spot color and or Pantone colors must be converted to CMYK process. RGB, LAB and ICC based colors are not allowed. Black & white images should be saved as single channel black only before placing them into the page. Nested grayscale or nested single channel black may become 4/C when printed. Delete any unused colors.
- Images: Must be high resolution SWOP-compliant with a resolution of 300dpi for CMYK and 1200dpi for black & white images. OPI selections should be turned off. Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files. Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no embedded color management profiles.
- Total area ink density for color images should not exceed SWOP standard of 300%.
- All ads must be created to trim specification with crops (printer marks) set at trim dimensions placed 12 pts outside the bleed area. Bleed must extend 1/8" beyond trim. Keep live matter a minimum of 3/8" from trim edge.
- Type: Fonts must be embedded. Use Postscript Type 1, Open Type or TrueType fonts only. Text containing thin lines, serifs or small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Layers within any Adobe application file must be flattened. Opacity — all objects, artwork or effects in the document should be set at a maximum of 99 percent before flattening layers.
- Generation of acceptable PDF/X-1a:2001 files is done by the output of a Postscript file (.ps) which is then distilled through Adobe Acrobat Distiller using the PDF/X-1a setting to avoid font, transparency and layering issues. It is recommended that the PDF file be certified PDF/X-1a:2001 using a PDF preflight utility like Adobe Acrobat Professional (version 6 or higher) or Enfocus PitStop. For expanded, program specific instructions, please visit: www.rrdonnelley.com/prepress/MagazineDSC/Pontiac/PontiacDSC.asp.
A SWOP certified proof is required for all color ads. Proofs must be representative of the supplied file at actual size and display a
printer's color control bar. Alternative proofing formats will be used for content only. Visit www.swop.org for a complete list of
current certified proofing options. When calling for spot color (Pantone) usage on press, clearly indicate such on the supplied
E-mailed ad submissions are NOT acceptable. For more information regarding these specifications or shipping address, contact Danny Ryan, Group Production Director at 646.668.3755 or email@example.com.